Family Helping Family
Guiding You Through Every Step of the Process

You Shouldn’t Feel Forced to Stay in a Relationship

On Behalf of | Apr 23, 2020 | Blog, Divorce

For most Hawaii residents and others throughout America, being stuck in a relationship can be emotionally draining. However, you may feel guilty about ending a marriage without having a concrete reason to do so. Simply not being enthusiastic about staying with your partner is typically considered to be a good enough reason to end a relationship.

People can grow apart over time

At some point after the wedding, you may realize that there isn’t any intimacy or romance left in the relationship. In such a scenario, there is generally no single event that leads to a divorce. Instead, two people simply drift apart from each other as time goes by. A sense of distance could be created by a lack of communication or a lack of a connection in the bedroom.

You don’t feel connected to your partner

You may feel fulfilled at work or have a vibrant social life outside of your marriage. However, if you don’t feel like you and your spouse connect, it could lead to feelings of loneliness or isolation at home. This can happen because your priorities changed or because you and your spouse simply don’t share the same interests anymore.

Your spouse is being abusive

Physical or emotional abuse can make a person feel as if they don’t have any control over their own lives. There is a chance that your spouse may intentionally withhold affection in an effort to inflict mental trauma. In almost all cases, the only way to make the abuse stop is to leave your spouse. It is important to note that abuse doesn’t stem from issues within the relationship itself. Instead, they are a result of problems that the abusers have that won’t change unless that individual changes.

Obtaining a divorce may help you leave a relationship that is causing physical or emotional harm. Working with an attorney may help you dissolve a marriage in a way that allows you to maintain a reasonable lifestyle. In some cases, you might be entitled to spousal support or a share of marital property.